This is a great way for a group to quickly come up with many ideas and to have people build on other’s ideas. The end result is a beautiful mural of thoughts that can be used as inspiration throughout events now and in the future.
- Find a table (or series of tables) that is big enough for everyone in the group to sit around. People should fit tightly, and be shoulder to shoulder along all sides.
- Place a large roll of paper that covers the entire table.
- Make sure that everyone has something to draw with. Try having lots of colours.
- Have the facilitator start playing music. Each person must start writing down an idea about the topic at hand.
- After about 2 minutes, the music should stop. Everyone should take a step to their left so they are in the position that their neighbour was previously in.
- The music starts again, and people must now build off of their neighbour’s idea.
- Repeat steps 5 & 6 until the whole roll of paper is covered in ideas!
- Stay open and positive during idea generation sessions.
- Be creative with how you represent your ideas. Drawings & prototypes are encouraged. The bigger the better.
- Judge ideas during idea generation sessions.
- Write negative comments, or cross things out.
The facilitator’s role is in starting & stopping the music, and making sure that people are properly moving in the right direction.
The facilitator also decides when the session is over.